Today I’m finally packing it up. I started cleaning up all the pots and pans yesterday. Joined my crit group at I o’clock though, so had a reprieve from my scouring duties. It’s always a lift to meet with these women. We are all so different in our art our and personalities, yet we come together as a productive entity intent on learning and sharing that results in both individual and group focus.
I’m anxious to start making some art out of my summer work now. Some nights I’ve started sewing. Others, I’ve been out there in the dark till midnight. Those halogen work lights are great! But I must admit to feeling a bit worn out and needing to take a few off to do nothing at all after I put away my summer studio.
This summer, I got a late start waiting for my floor to go in and that floor has been wonderful for me! I decided not to go into ‘production mode’ rather to spend a lot of my time experimenting this year and I think it’s been good for me, stretching out my boundaries a bit and opening me up to some fresh new work.
Now, back to packing it in – a gorgeous day for it!
Greetings on this morning of our first frost here just inland of the northeast coast of Massachusetts. As I write I’m watching how the sun nears my tent and it’s just beginning to shine of the white plastic that should begin to warm it up inside in about a half hour. Then I’ll go out and zip up the panels but rezip them to keep the cold out. I’ll turn on the water filled coffrr urn and that will beging to add some to the temnperature and I’ll turn on both turkey roasters as well. I’ll pour the first pot of hot water into a large stainless stell bowl that I use as a sink and wash the “dishes” that it was too dark to get last night when I called it a day about 9ish. Then I’ll put the second pot on to use for multiple purposes, probably a new dye color for the remainder of the scarves I hope to finish up today.
Most of the last few days have gone toward eco printing on watercolor or printmaking paper and I’ve enjoyed almost every minute of it. It did have its ups and down though but I managed to turn lemons into sweet lemonade! Maybe I shouldn’t even call them lemons, though, because I was completely experimenting with various combinations of mordanting ingredients, vinegar, alums and soy milk, so when you get results that are less than satisfactory, it simply is what it is and you take you learned and move on. So, in order of progression, here’s some examples of what I accompluished in the past few days.
OK the sun is looking good out there, so I’m off to one of my last days in the outdoor studio for the season. Have a good one yourself and thanks for hanging in there with me! I love your company and all of your feedback!
I dyed this piece of cotton saxon blue but, not being familiar with this dye yet, I went too light on the amount of dye I used. So, I experimented a bit further cutting off two pieces of the fabric and dipping the first one in half vinegar and half ferrous sulfate; the second piece, I dipped in hot soda ash. Pretty dramatic difference!
It’s that time of year now when my outdoor work comes to an end. I have only a few more chores to do before I prepare it to winter over. So this morning I’ll take a look back to days when I had a special visitor! Only a few weeks ago did I realize that one of the trees on the slope beside Lake Quannapowett was a pear tree. The leaves actually did print with some coaxing.