Fortunately, the deadline for submitting our SAQA http://www.saqa.com/ donation quilts was extended because my sewing machine came to an abrupt halt in the middle of it, so….I finished it by hand and finally mailed it in.
I started by transferring a patterned inkjet print onto the fabric in the bottom part of it – a new technique for me that I’ll definitely do some more of. Then I hand printed a custom stamp with fabric paint on the background fabric above the inkjet print. I cut out the shapes of a container, some oranges and some flowers and leaves by eye, without drawing them first and fused them on, along with some other shapes that I cut out of some commercial fabric.I started to apply them with some machine stitching, and after my machine went kaput, I hand appliqued them on and added some embroidery here and there. The one focus flower became pretty dimensional as I hand stitched many small snippets of fabric to create the textured whole.